We’ve all heard the recommendations that we should avoid crowds. The idea of social distancing is that if we avoid interacting with others, we minimize the spread of the virus. Public health experts also are advising that people wash their hands often and clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
Older Americans and those with routine prescriptions should also make sure to have adequate quantities on hand. Check your stock of over-the-counter medicines to treat fever, cough and other symptoms, as well as tissues and common medical supplies. You should also make sure you have enough food in the house in case you have to stay home for an extended period of time.
Update Legal Documents
One important area of planning that you might not have considered is your legal documents. COVID-19 has made all of us rethink things. You may have even wondered what would happen to you if you were to get sick.
- Do you have powers of attorney that give someone permission to handle your finances or make medical decisions if you are not able to?
- Have you always planned to make a will but never done it?
- Do you currently have estate planning documents that are years old and out of date?
Now is the time to ensure that you and your loved ones are protected and your wishes will be respected if you were sick, incapacitated, or the worst were to happen.
TuckerAllen Can Help
Having your affairs in order is important whether there is a pandemic or not. TuckerAllen offers alternatives to in-person meetings.
- We can complete an estate plan in as little as 2 sessions – the initial consultation and the signing conference. Neither have to be done in person.
- For those who are not comfortable with video conferencing, or do not have the necessary equipment, we offer initial consultations over the phone to get the information we need to customize our clients’ estate plans.
- In addition to virtual signings, we offer drive-up signings where the client signs the documents in the car where we can see them, as well as social distancing signings, if they prefer to come inside and ask questions to face to face.
- Our process is simple and we offer flat rate pricing. We also offer a 12-month interest-free payment plan.
Contact TuckerAllen today to arrange a video or phone consult with an attorney. We can create or update power of attorney documents, wills, and trusts. The best part is that you can complete all of the work from the comfort of your home.